Redskins Add More Defensive Line Depth with Inking Veteran Cullen Jenkins

Cullen Jenkins

The Redskins today made another addition to their defense, as the the team came to terms with free agent defensive lineman Cullen Jenkins.

The 35-year-old pass rusher spent the past three seasons with the Giants, and in his career has 332 career tackles, along with 47.5 sacks and 20 passes defensed.

The one-year deal with Washington should put him in the mix to rotate with Chris Baker, Ricky Jean-Francois and Kedric Golston.

Enjoyed this post?
Subscribe to Redskins Gab via RSS Feed or E-mail and receive daily news updates from us!

9 Responses to “Redskins Add More Defensive Line Depth with Inking Veteran Cullen Jenkins”

1. SCOTT mcCLOUGHAN fan says:

Let’s play GM for a little bit.

DL

Well somebody’s out of a job, and I’m certain it isn’t ZIGGY HOOD, who’s looked great this pre-season.

So as a generic DL, CULLEN JENKINS plays end, nose in a three, tackle in a four-man, whatever, right?

Who’s out then?

At his age, I’m guessing he won’t be an OLB.

DE BAKER
    DE JEAN-FRANCOIS
    NT GOLSTON
    DE HOOD
    DE REYES
    DE LANIER – I’m a believer in LANIER. Age, size and raw ability. I say he’s on this squad.

I’m thinking JENKINS’ a ‘Skin to push IOANNIDIS, PAEA and CRAWFORD.

If JENKINS makes it, all three are gone though IOANNIDIS may slip by onto the practice squad, CRAWFORD’s slot last year.

POWE is out for sure, and KNIGHTON is just a fading memory.

OLB

KERRIGAN
    SMITH
    MURPHY
    TRAIL

WAKEFIELD to the practice squad.

BATES out.

ILB

COMPTON
    FOSTER
    SPAIGHT
    GARVIN
    CRAVENS

RILEY Jr. out.

CB

NORMAN
    BREELAND
    TOLER
    DUNBAR
    FULLER

CARRIGAN, PHILLIPS, and EVERETT out.

S

HALL
    BRUTON Jr.
    BLACKMON
    IHENACHO

MATIAS-SMITH to the practice squad.

2. SCOTT mcCLOUGHAN fan says:

DL

After the soggy Reserve-Bowl had run it’s course, I see JENKINS on this squad – no equivication.

The choice is either CRAWFORD, LANIER or IOANNIDIS on the DL.

I don’t think they can slip any onto the practice squad. To my mind they are roughly equal off what I saw in live-play. Too close to call from my seat. Gonna’ hafta’ defer to the coaches corner here.

IOANNIDIS makes it.

LANIER to the practice squad.

CRAWFORD out.

If they carry eight to start out, then CRAWFORD is in.

OLB

BATES is in.

TRAIL to the practice squad.

WAKEFIELD is out

ILB

SPAIGHT, GARVIN, CRAVENS, FOSTER, and COMPTON.

CB

DUNBAR, NORMAN, BREELAND, TOLER, FULLER.

EVERETT, and PHILLIPS are out.

CARRINGTON to the practice squad.

S

MATIAS-SMITH to the practice squad.

3. SCOTT mcCLOUGHAN fan says:

QB

On offense, I think they have to carry SUDFELD on the active roster. No way he’s exposed on the practice squard. He’d never make it.

RB

Hard choice between ‘Johnny’ MACK BROWN and KERRIDGE. I wouldn’t want to make it.

BROWN makes the team.

KERRIDGE to the practice squad. BROWN will be picked for sure if tried.

TE

PAULSON out.

JENSEN keep fingers crossed and send to the practice squad.

WR

JACKSON, GARCON, DOCTSON, CROWDER, GRANT, ROSS.

THOMPSON, THORPE out

HARRIS to the practice squad. If picked, THORPE as a replacement.

OL

WILLIAMS, LONG, LICHTENSTEIGER, SCHERFF, MOSES, NYSECKE, KOUANDJIO, LAUVEO, COFIELD.

LeRIBEUS, I. WILLIAMS, REITER out.

KASITATI to the practice squad.

4. SCOTT mcCLOUGHAN fan says:

Here we are with 2.5 hours to dead-line.

OFFENSE

QB

No cuts so far

RB

One site says BROWN is gone. I wouldn’t cut BROWN. KERRIGE still on the team I guess. Excellent blocking back. Could make it thru waivers and put on the practice squad. BROWN, no way. if he’s cut he’s gone.

TE

I thought they’d cut PAULSON and they did. Leave him exposed and hope he’s available during the season if there’s an emergency at TE.
    JENSEN is up. Don’t want to expose him until the last minute I suppose hoping other teams may have made preliminary selections already for the practice squad.

WR

THORPE cut, they hope he’s available for the practice squad. THOMPSON still hanging on. Same as JENSEN.

OL

I.WILLIAMS, KASITATI, PAINTER out. No surprise there.
    But I’m still betting COFIELD makes it, and LeRIBEUS and REITER are gone. And that they carry 9 OL not 8. They may try to bring KASITATI back to the practice squad. leave PAINTER totally exposed, and hope he’s available in case of injury during the season.

DEFENSE

DL

Wholesale slaughter.
    JENKINS cut with the same thought as with PAINTER.
    Surprised me, but not that LANIER made it. Great upside. I did think they’d expose him and put him on the practice squad. Guess they thought him too valuable.
    IOANNIDIS, and CRAWFORD ? One may make it through waivers and be put on the practice squad. IOANNIDIS I’m thinking.
    CRAWFORD could be valuable from the standpoint of being available during the season for emergency. I thought his attitude ultimately cost him a slot on the d-line. This could be his wake-up call if brought back.

OLB

BATES in as everyone thought.
    TRAIL and WAKEFIELD. Hoping one makes it thru waivers and on the practice squad. TRAIL I hope.

ILB

No cuts so far.

CB

No cuts so far. Do think they keep 6. DUNBAR, FULLER, NORMAN, TOLER, BREELAND, PHILLIPS.

S

Would not be surprised to see EVERETT make it and IHENACHO, MATIAS-SMITH cut. I suppose they hope MATIAS-SMITH clears waivers and IHENACHO would be available for emergency during the season. Won’t happen IHENACHO would be gone.

5. SCOTT mcCLOUGHAN fan says:

RB

Well, we’ve seen the last of ‘Johnny’ MACK BROWN except in an opposing backfield. They won’t get him back.

OL

LeRIBEUS gone, and if he’s picked up by anyone I’ll be surprised. Always thought that a wasted 3rd round pick.

REITER or COFIELD the last decision on the o-line.

Still got a few defensive decisions on the hook.

• SCOTT mcCLOUGHAN fan says:

REITER over COFIELD because of LICHTENSTEIGER’s ankle and age. Shoot.

You can really see how much they wanted RYAN KELLY for C this season. Danged COLTS.

Glad to see LANIER on the DL. He’s needed. Hopefully, he’s a quick learner.

Kept five S. They knew IHENACHO would never last in FA. Guess they figured with a weak DL they’d need 11 d-backs.

Weaknesses now:

C
      DE
      NT
      OLB [2]

They should be able to resign CULLEN if needed.
      I don’t see a center out there, or any OLB’s either.

Set at

QB
      RB
      TE
      WR
      OL except C. REITER ?-mark.
      4 of 6 D-linemen REYES and GOLSTON ?-marks
      2 of 4 OLB with GALLETT gone. MURPHY and BATES ?-marks
      ILB
      CB
      S

I’m thinking five major talents away from a championship team.

6. SCOTT mcCLOUGHAN fan says:

9 on the PS so far.

DL IOANNIDIS Below Average

DL CRAWFORD Average

OLB TRAIL Check+

RB BROWN Check

FB KERRIDGE Average

WR HARRIS Check

WR THOMPSON average

3 OL

G KASITATI Check

G PAINTER Average

OT I.WILLIAMS instead of COFIELD I suppose.

I wish they would re-sign COFIELD, but it looks like the ‘Skins have moved on, or maybe TAKOBY doesn’t want to be on the PS again.